The Uje Umampha! (Be Well!) programme provides vital support for people living with HIV.
Our mission "To deliver holistic peer support, provide knowledge, skills and confidence, while tackling stigma, for people living with HIV."
The purpose of the Uje Umampha! (Be Well!) programme is to establish a peer support group, and deliver a 10 week programme through weekly sessions which provide information on health, nutrition and income generation to people living with HIV. It has been running for a number of years, and the session plans have been carefully and sensitively developed by health care professionals to offer vital support, information and give education, knowledge, and counselling where possible. Where possible, we encourage anyone delivering this programme to inspire and support the group to develop some business opportunities, to generate an income to support themselves and others in the group. Previous groups have established a massage business, a usipa (small fish) business, eggs and baby basket weaving.
Volunteering with this Project
This project needs a 2 month commitment to ensure development continuity and establishment of strong personal relationships with the group.
Volunteers will need to fundraise on top of their volunteer package (covering your food and accommodation). This money will help to provide nutritious meals, cover some transport fees and help the group to set up a small income generator. This provision is a real incentive to the 10 people who attend each course.
There is already a comprehensive programme for volunteers to deliver to the group over 10 sessions. It is suggested some sessions are delivered close to participants homes, and some at Butterfly Space.
It would be beneficial for volunteers to have some small business ideas that their current group could set up that is appropriate to the environment and resources. It would also be helpful to come prepared with recipes using local nutritious products, some gardening expertise and budgeting advice.
Before arriving, volunteers should:
- Research different ways to present information to the group, including role play, lectures or handouts.
- Research a potential income generation business idea to develop with the group.
- Research and cook nutritional recipes using ingredients that they are not used to cooking.
- Recruit a new group of up to 10 people to support through this workshop.
- Work with them, independently, to improve their existing income generators and help them develop more.
- Follow the comprehensive session plan and guidance, using the power points, videos and materials provided which was put together by a dedicated health professional Matthew Areskog.
- Take time to familiarize themselves with, and learn to deliver this more complex but life changing volunteering opportunity!
If you would like to donate to this project, please see our Wish List for the things we need which would benefit our school! Thank you!