Not everything you find in the West is available in Malawi. If you are Volunteering, there are a variety of items you could bring to make life a lot easier here! If you cannot make it over to Butterfly Space but you would like to make a contribution, please Contact Us and let us know what items you would like to send to Butterfly Space, or donate to our Chuffed.org.
Each project also benefits from fundraising, whether it is for books and pens, or building new school blocks. We encourage all volunteers to consider fundraise before they visit. We are always happy to share fundraising ideas. Some include:
- Sponsored activates, such as runs, walks or swims- get creative and make it fun!
- Host a fundraising event, such as an auction, games night, coffee and cake morning or cocktail party!
- Community classes – share your skills for a donation.
- Build an email campaign and send to friends and family.
- Hold a discussion about the project you wish to support at a local community centre, your work place or uni.
- Research & contact major donors for funding & grants.
Why is it important to fundraise?
Although we work towards our projects being financially sustainable, running certain workshops and activities can be costly. National funding and grants can be difficult to source, so the projects always benefit hugely from a financial boost no matter how big or small! Things can be surprisingly expensive, such as buying equipment, paying for transport and even maintaining the projects buildings. Our non-profit status means that profits from Butterfly Space Lodge offers financial support to our projects where possible, but often after the basic overheads and maintenance for the on-site projects are covered, there is little left in the pot!
Fundraising efforts mean we can purchase new equipment and enhance the projects so they can really benefit the community. Funds can also be put towards a fun field trip with a community group, or running workshops and events. If you have a specific goal for your time volunteering at Butterfly Space, the funds can contribute towards achieving those goals.
Our Wish List
Below is a list of some useful items we would like for our community projects, so if you can source any of these, have them spare, or wish to fundraise to buy them, the project will benefit!
COMMUNITY INFORMATION AND INTERNET ROOM
- Musical instruments
- Laptops and associated equipment (mouses, flash drives, earphones etc.)
- Software for computers (Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Cloud)
- Audio interface for recording
- Tablets, to provide more access to educational material via Raspberry Pi
- Library books, especially reference books
- CD Roms of useful information on any topic
SCHOOL LINKS AND TEACHING:
- Educational resources, especially for the teachers – reference books, maps, teaching aids
- Raspberry Pi
- USB Projectors (for Raspberry Pi)
- Power banks
- SD memory cards
YOUTH CLUB/ NURSERY SCHOOLS
- Paint and paint brushes
- Arts and crafts materials
- Football pump
- Kids books
- Baby clothes
- Baby toys
- Baby blankets
- Reusable nappies
- Nipple pads
- Studio headphones microphones, cables (XLR, jacks, adapters)
- Flash drives, batteries, blank cd’s, micro cards
- Mixing desk
- Basic digital cameras, video cameras, voice recorders
- Documentaries and interesting films to screen and add to our collection
- Music catalogues
- Manuals and textbooks on the ins and outs of recording, film, photography etc.
- Disability aid equipment, handles for walls, crutches, wheelchairs etc.
- Tools & materials for vocational workshops
- Toys, books, arts and craft materials for the nursery school at the center
- Tablets, smart phones, raspberry Pi- for educational training videos
SCHOOL GARDENS AND PERMACULTURE CLUBS:
- Seeds for the gardens (remember we are in the tropics, so seeds that like the climate!)
- Garden tools such as loppers, secateurs, and gardening gloves.
- Relevant books on permaculture.
- Personal Protective Equipment.
- Materials for environmental demonstrations.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT
If you have other ideas, something specific, or want more information on postage and donations, please click the link below and we will get back to you as soon as possible!